Myparty is a virus-worm that spreads via the Internet attached to infected e-mail. The worm itself is a Windows PE EXE file about 30Kb in length (compressed by UPX, 76K decompressed), and it is written in Microsoft Visual C++.
Infected messages appear as follows:
The worm activates from infected e-mail only when a user double-clicks on the attached file. The worm then installs itself to the system and runs a spreading routine.
While installing, the worm copies itself to: c:\regctrl.exe - under Win9x/ME
c:\recycled\regctrl.exe - under WinNT/2K/XP
and spawns this copy. When the worm's file name is not ".com" (as in the attachment), but rather ".exe" (the worm is re-named), it also opens the Web page "http://www.disney.com".
The original file (as it was run from an infected e-mail) is moved to the Recycled or Recycler directory with one of the following names:
C:\RECYCLED\F-%1-%2-%3, where %1, %2, %3 are randomly selected numbers, for example: F-12158-19044-21300, F-27729-23255-31008. While installing, the worm checks the keyboard layout set, and when there is Russian keyboard support, the worm copies itself to Recycled/Recycler in the same way and exits. This is the same on any date except for 25–29 January 2002.
As a result, the worm works only from 25 until 29 January 2002, and only on machines without Russian keyboard support.
To send infected messages, the worm uses a direct SMTP connection to an e-mail server. To obtain a victim's e-mail addresses, the worm scans WAB files (Windows Address Book) and *.DBX files (Outlook Express).
The worm also sends one e-mail (without an attachment) to "email@example.com".
Under WinNT/2000/... the worm also creates a new file in a user's auto-run directory: %Userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msstask.exe and writes a backdoor program to there. This backdoor is run by data that are stored in a file at the website "http://22.214.171.124".
This one is a slightly modified 'a' version. The differences are: The attached file name is "myparty.photos.yahoo.com".
- Email-Worm.Myparty.a (Kaspersky Lab)
- I-Worm.Myparty.a (Kaspersky Lab)
- Virus: W32/Myparty.eml (McAfee)
- Virus: W32/Myparty.a@MM (McAfee)
- W32/MyParty-A (Sophos)
- W32.Myparty.B (ClamAV)
- W32/Myparty@MM (Panda)
- W32/Myparty.A@mm (F-PROT)
- Worm:Win32/Myparty.A@mm (MS(OneCare))
- Win32.HLLM.MyParty.1 (Dr. Web)
- Win32/Myparty.A worm (ESET NOD32)
- Win32.Generic.5413 (BitDef7)
- I-Worm.Myparty.a (VirusBuster)
- Win32:MyParty [Wrm] (AVAST)
- Email-Worm.Win32.Myparty (Ikarus)
- I-Worm/MyParty.A (AVG)
- WORM/MyParty.A (AVIRA)
- W32.Myparty@mm (NAV)
- MyParty.A@mm (Norman)
- Worm.Mail.Myparty.a (Rising)
- Email-Worm.Win32.Myparty.a [AVP] (F-Secure)
- WORM_MYPARTY.A (Trend Micro)
- Email-Worm.Win32.Myparty.A (Sunbelt)
- I-Worm.Myparty.a (VirusBusterBeta)